Kickball in the City

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Welcome

I decided to start posting to spread the word about one of my hobbies - kickball in DC. I have played for quite a while now and have been in several leagues and see myself as somewhat of an expert on the topic. I have played with WAKA, DC Kickball, District Sports, and NAKID and so have a good view of all of the major ones in the area. To start out, I might as well rank 'em all, worst to first:

4. District Sports (www.playgroundkickball.net) - I played indoor kickball with them and it was HORRIBLE! They hire refs who will change calls if you argue enough and don't keep proper score. The bars were awful, hosting poetry nights and such and thus there was almost NO FLIP CUP and no socializing. These guys didn't seem to know why people play flip cup.

3. WAKA (www.kickball.com) - The Wal-Mart of kickball. One person I know described them as a tee shirt and equipment distributor. $60-65 for registration and you have to pay for everyone one of the "free" parties. And they make people who are customers do all of the work and they reap the benefits. Nice work if you can get it (for the owners of the biz) but pretty crappy for the people who volunteer and then get treated like crap. And now they are moving their finals to Miami?! What the hell?

2. DC Kickball (www.dckickball.org) - Founded by a disgruntled WAKA guy who was all "We are only for the love of kickball" and now is WAKA Jr. They are exactly the same setup as WAKA with volunteers, etc but get the nod because they are $10 cheaper. The bar turnout is weak and it just seems not that good. Reports are that one of the divisions heads to a WAKA bar by 9:30.

1. NAKID (www.playnakid.com) - So far these are my faves. They are new, so that probably helps. Only $42 if you joined early and just $30 or something if you played with WAKA or DC Kickball and have a team. Their party (this past Saturday) actually was FREE (not pay a cover free) and it was cool. Whole bar to themselves, lots of people, and a great dj. Plus the specials on Sundays are $2 pints! They have a nice website, you don't have to do anything but show up, play, and drink, and they even have a board with the standings at the bar. So far so good.

Please feel free to share your thoughts, agreements, disagreements, etc. I will be updating a few times a week. Thanks for reading.

UPDATE: Thanks to DCKickball for including the blog on your site.

8 Comments:

  • I think the bar turnout for DC Kickball is actually really good. It's not as good as NAKID, but I do have fun flipping with them. One thing about NAKID is that it's only on Sundays, so it's nice to have a weekday alternative.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:01 PM  

  • But the real question is, which group has the hottest players?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:59 PM  

  • I haven't played for the others, but have seen them out by the mall/monument. I'd have to say Nakid has the hottest women (I'm a guy) from what I've seen.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:22 AM  

  • Can't speak about the girls but the DCK guys are cuties. And not arrogant asshole players like a lot of WAKA guys I've met.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:02 AM  

  • How many people play in NAKID? Like, 200? I think I could run a pretty cheap and fun kickball league if I was just catering to my extended group of friends.

    Besides the point, the chicks in NAKID are very marginal. Compare:

    http://flickr.com/photos/dckingdom

    to:

    http://flickr.com/photos/dckickball

    Yes, I play in DCK.

    Oh, and for some history on kickball in DC over the past year or so, check out:

    http://kickballers.blogspot.com/

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:50 AM  

  • I've played for WAKA and DCKickball. The hottness factor varies from season to season, not league to league, in my opinion. Politics and minor cost discrepancies aside, the leagues all boil down to the basics: fun game, fun people and beer. Lots of beer. It's really not sophisticated enough to analyze any further than that. And that's why I like it.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:29 PM  

  • Admittedly, I only chose DCK over NAKID because they meet during the week, but so far it's working out. Lot's of hot chicks (so far), 3 free parties, and cup flipping is done when we play flip cup. $10 or $20 difference wasn't a big deal to me, as long as it is being used well.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:57 PM  

  • The webmaster's District Sports review is correct. The sponsor bar was not appropriate for large crowds or flipcup, and each referee had their own rules. The organizers were more concerned about preserving the status quo (not offending their refs) than solving these widely cited problems.

    Despite the few who go elsewhere, DCK does normally have large numbers at its sponsor bar.

    And yes, girl hotness varies by season. Last season, they averaged an 7.1 in hotness on a scale of 1-10, while this season they average more of a 7.15... perhaps 7.2 even.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home