Kickball in the City

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Kickball - is it just a game?

People always say that kickball is just a kid's game, but really it isn't. Kids don't drink beer (unless they are Kennedys), kids don't stay out until 11pm or 1am on a school night (unless the Bush twins in high school), and kids can't afford it. So let's get that out of the way right now. Having said that, kickball isn't the end all be all of existence either.

I'm a kickball dork, that's true. But I don't die a little and yell and scream if my team loses. Don't get me wrong I am very competitive and hate losing, but I also want to make friends and meet people. It seems like a lot of people that play kickball forget this. It's not limited to one league or one of the sexes either. I played in a couple of games this week that exemplified both ends of this spectrum.

One of my teams was playing and winning and we had reached a time limit and the game should have ended with us winning. The team we played berated the ref until he relented and kept us playing (and away from the bar longer!) and we eventually lost. Still, the whining team was angry and kept acting like assholes. I guess they needed to win by more to feel like real men and women.

Conversely, one of my other teams played a team of perennial losers. The game was not great (we crushed 'em) but everyone had FUN. Everyone was cheering on either side, people were being competitive but still understanding the nature of the game is FUN. No yelling, no arguing, and no whining. The way it should be.

Finally, another team welcomed me as a first timer on the team with open arms at the bar, offering me beer and introducing me to everyone on the team and I really felt like I was part of the fam. I haven't played with them yet but can't wait to based on the greeting I received.

I guess the bottom line here is that if you are one of these people that yells and screams or thinks using "I'm just competitive" as an excuse for knocking people down or being an ass - get over yourself, it's KICKBALL! We all want to win at whatever we do, but that's no excuse to treat people poorly. Kickball's not just a game, but it certainly shouldn't be the basis of your self-worth either.

PS The hotness and making out is fairly consistent throughout the leagues (guys and girls).

PPS Just as an FYI there are a lot more than 200 people in NAKID, and running a league with more people is CHEAPER per person than running a league with fewer people. Basic economics - buying in bulk is cheaper.

PPPS DC Kickball's mid and post season parties charge a cover, ergo not free.

I'm out...

UPDATE: So as to prove my point, a recap from one of my leagues in it's GMOT:
"eager for a bitch slap, the Trombones resorted to trash talking and name calling in lieu of presenting any physical skill. To quote the SL pitcher: "Rusty Trombones were the most disrespectful bunch of individuals that I have encountered on the kickball field." Touché On a routine bases empty double, the lead buffoon of the Trombone squad attempted to brutally tag-out the soul and pride of Sack Lunch, and in turn he learned a valuable lesson: You F&*K with any one of us, you get your asses served to you."

Wow sure makes me want to meet those people!

1 Comments:

  • So as to prove my point, a recap from one of my leagues in it's GMOT:
    "eager for a bitch slap, the Trombones resorted to trash talking
    and name calling in lieu of presenting any physical skill. To quote the SL pitcher: "Rusty Trombones were the most
    disrespectful bunch of individuals that I have encountered on the kickball field." Touché
    On a routine bases
    empty double, the lead buffoon of the Trombone squad attempted to brutally tag-out the soul and pride of Sack Lunch, and in
    turn he learned a valuable lesson: You F&*K with any one of us, you get your asses served to you."

    Wow sure akes me want to meet those people!

    By Blogger Kickball Homer, at 3:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home