Kickball in the City

Thursday, September 07, 2006

The Potted Meat of DC Kickballers?


Ah Spam, the potted lunch meat of champions. I actually like Spam a little. It's not that bad and if you pile other stuff on it it's actually ok. It's huge in Hawaii, where some restaurants even have it on the menu. This is thanks to the GIs who were stationed there and made to eat it. But alas, I write today about another form that's not so loved: Kickball blogoshpere spam.

Dictionary.com defines spam as: Unsolicited e-mail, often of a commercial nature, sent indiscriminately to multiple mailing lists, individuals, or newsgroups; junk e-mail. In reviewing some of the comments on my last post. I'm not sure that they meet the requirements to be spam as defined here; but they are certainly in the neighborhood. So I created Kickball blogosphere spam as a new term to define these.


Normally when I post something negative about one of the groups I play in I get a few emails, usually anonymous, that have several curse words in them and I don't post those. You want to be a tough guy and write that stuff, leave your name. Most of the time though they are fairly funny and germane to the topic so I approve them. That's how it goes for WAKA and NAKID anyway. DC Kickball though, operates on another level.

DC Kickball must have a scout that reads my post and radios back to the base camp, "Code Red we have a negative email, send in the troops" and then the comments come in. Not only that, but based on stat counter, there is then an email sent out that must encourage readers to post a message (and give them examples) because within minutes of those being read, there are more comments. And unlike with the other groups, they are always oddly similar. Note:

I personally thought the trophy was quite awesome and original. Perfect to be displayed at a KICKBALL event. Real trophies can be for real sporting events- like Bocce :) I kid I kid.

Those were the best and funniest trophies I had ever seen. Who cares about a fancy trophy? More thought probably went into the homemade trophy than simply buying one from a store. In the end, we play KICKBALL. A goofy "sport" deserves a goofy trophy.

personally, I dig the homemade trophy. Having won a waka division wal-mart trophy in a previous year and having won a homemade trophy with accompanying bar tab, I can tell you my team had a lot more fun fighting over who was taking home the spray painted masterpiece. Shiny, sparkly and completely stupid. It was totally perfect for a kickball trophy.

For what its worth, I like the goofy homemade trophy. It seems, well, more suitable for the sport. Having won a waka division trophy in a previous year, and having won another such silly trophy, I can tell you that our team members fought much more over ownership of the dopey trophy. And enjoyed the accompanying bar gift certificate. Really, we'd rather the drinks and homemade fun than a cheap $20 wholesale trophy.

Now, gentle readers, I like getting comments - but please. These all came within minutes of one another and are strikingly similar, no? I especially like the two that emphasize KICKBALL with all caps. And the two that specifically use the word "goofy" though I did not in my post. And the mention of having had a bar tab and trophies from WAKA. Maybe it's a coincidence, and maybe Spam will win food of the year.

In the future fellow DC Kickballers, just use a little more originality when posting. I understand you like the league and that's fine. Hey, none of you mentioned my praise for DC Kickball for the lighting issue which means I'm a fan too, just gimme a break. It's a little pathetic. Much like the Catholic church still reciting the Lord's Prayer (you guys know that was supposed to be an example of a prayer, not an actual one, right?), these comments are clearly cookie cutter. Next time have the scout leave some spots blank like in Mad Libs so you can add some of your own thoughts.

Leave the Spam to Hormel - or at least make them the sponsor meat for DC Kickball and get something out of it. Spamburgers all around!

3 Comments:

  • Interesting that you should knock the anonymous posters, considering that both contributors to this blog hide their profiles.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:46 PM  

  • Jeez, it wasn't so nefarious. I posted twice by accident...I thought I'd lost my first message... same team, same member, same love of stupid and funny trophy over wal-mart version. And no one alerted me to the negative... I just sort of happened to be a fan of the blog, and had an opinion.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:03 PM  

  • Well as one of the "potted meat" its only reasonable that I respond. I'm pretty sure that no one is acting as a scout looking for messages about any of the kickball leagues. In fact, when I was out last night after my game I was telling people about the post, and most didn't even know there was a "kickball" blog. KICKBALL is fun and online or offline shouldn't taken too seriously! Cheers! Contact info below.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home