Kickball in the City

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

The Fun Police


I figured it out, I now know why people get burnout from playing kickball! A few posts ago I mentioned a concern from people about needing a respite between kickball seasons before playing another game. I explained that this is a game that people play for 1 hour before drinking for 5 hours. So why acutely are they burned out, I wondered. Now I know.

Monday's post about rule changes and the lunacy of that elicited a few responses, both private and posted on here. A little more research proved invaluable. Some people just don't know how to relax and have fun.

I received a four paragraph defense of rule changes from one writer. Scouring other message boards I found these posts:

I still would veto the 2nd 1st base. It is the runner's and fielders responsibilities to provide each other with room to make plays. Runners need to learn that they cannot always run in a straight line. Fielders need to learn to step off the base to get overthrown balls and not try to stretch so much.Or....if you can't take being tackled at first....don't play first. It WILL happen sometimes. And no one does it on purpose...I assume. And this goes for everyone. I've seen guys knocked down by girls, guys by guys, girls by guys, etc. What's next....double 2nd, 3rd and home plates? I've slid into bases plenty of times and had people fall on me. Its part of the game

I haven't reffed a game yet this season, but yes, man bunting is going to be a judgement call, but, I think everyone is right in determine whehter (sic) the dude was actually going to wind up and nail it and miss vs. a little dink

Being as I'm always chasing after bunts.. I decided that any ground ball that does not look or flat out does not make it past the base line / 1st / 3rd base line thingo is a bunt

I need to confirm what exactly happened at the bar, but apparently HFB only had three people, so that should be a forfeit, unless they asked for a re-schedule

our division president says that it (mercy rule) is being enacted automatically now, and no score showing more than a 12 point spread will be going in the books. when i pointed this rule out to him, he says it has been changed. i have not heard anything about this rule being changed, and it has not been changed in my rule book

bunts win games......if you don't like bunts then play better defense and stop them

Here's the thing people: you get burned out because you are debating every little piece of kickball. I can't believe that some people even carry it over to flip cup, where people now need to check "what happened at the bar" in case there needs to be a forfeit assinged?! For flipcup?! Wow, I'm telling you the WAKA divisions are making it less and less fun to play there.

How about this: HAVE FUN! And don't give me this "Winning is fun" crap. Yes, it is. But these are the same people who complain about burnout and needing a break. Yeah, because you are worried about what's a man-bunt and what isn't. Because you have to spend time at the bar not making out, but making sure you have the right number of flip cup players lest you receive a forfeit. And if you do make out after worrying about who has what on their flip cup team it must not be that good because the next day you are writing about having a second first base!

I have to say, in NAKID it just seems that nothing is all that serious. They call their winners the "Champions of the Kickball Universe". They have a trophy for "Greatest Flip Cupper in the World". They have a "Magic 8 Ball" that decides the flip cup standings on a weekly basis. They ran stories in their newsletter last season on: a steroid scandal in flip cup, what the world would be like if famous people were like those people who never show up for games, and stuff like that. I may sound like I am in shill for them but for goodness sakes, they make it FUN!

So calm down and stop acting like the Fun Police, it's just kickball. As one poster wrote:

sad thing is you all are debating the game of kickball. A game we all or most of us played in elementary school that has been brought back into our lives to give us another reason to drink. That's it!! Its not about the game of kickball you morons!!! Don't take it so seriously and you might have fun once in a while. its an adolescent game that is strictly for fun....I suggest you stop crying about bunting or explaining the art of bunting and just play and have fun.

1 Comments:

  • This is DC. Everyone here is a wonk of some sort... these people are apparently kickball wonks. The people whining and griping about the minutae of scoring are the people that desperately want to be athletic superstars but can only hack it in kickball or shuffleboard. Heck, I'm not saying I'm a great athlete myself, but at least I don't take the game too seriously.

    By Blogger Alena, at 10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home