Kickball in the City

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Grotesque is in the eye of the beholder


I received this email from the founder of DC Kickball and figured it was only right to share it with my readers. It read "latest factual error" in the subject line:

"
In fact, now 25 percent of the money left over goes to the division for the party. That's only 5 percent more than the Kash guys!" I know you don't care about accuracy, but you really amaze me. WAKA (in divisions I know about) provides $12/head for a Division's budget. DCKickball provides $20/head. That puts us up 66%.

I find your whole blog grotesque. It's about as even-handed as FOX news. And what's worse, every time I have to meet
with my lawyers to deal with developments in WAKA's lawsuit, I'm reminded of the pettiness that pervades "indy" kickball in DC, both in its practioners and many of its players.


I'm sure you'll pass this around, post it, or just have fun behind your anonymity. But you can't even begin to realize how ifficult you make it desirable for someone like me to keep doing what I'm doing,despite what you imagine to be fantastic financial rewards. Regardless of your connections to other kickball leagues, you are at worst grossly mistaken about much of what you say, or a malicious liar. I hope you continue to enjoy
picking on DCKickball.


If I am incorrect about the money allotted to the divisions for parties then I apologize. I do recall when checking out DC Kickball to register that there was something posted about 25% going back to the divisions, but it may have stated $20. If so, I was mistaken about the amount. However, what I was not mistaken about was this statement by the league's founder "Once all costs are accounted for (insurance, equipment, overhead, etc), all money is directed to the 'party' account." is not true anymore, and that is according to him.


I do want to address this issue of my anonymity which some people seem to think is something bad. Please note the tone in emails and comments that I receive. Imagine what it would be like if people knew who I was. Maybe they would talk less openly to me, maybe they wouldn't talk to me at all, and that wouldn't be much fun. Plus, it's kinda funny that while he calls me out on mine, a link here on his page goes to another kickball blog that also is anonymous. I guess you can only be anonymous if you write nice things.

With regard to finding my whole blog "grotesque", everyone is entitled to think whatever they want. And to not read my blog, nor link to it on their site. I'm sure the other leagues have problems with what I write as well. That's too bad. I am free to write about my experiences with all of the leagues I play in. I don't like having to pay for parties during the season after paying a fee to play. What I think is grotesque is stating that a league will be run to give all the money back to the players and then not living up to that.

Finally, I am not picking on DC Kickball. Nor am I picking on WAKA, NAKID, or District Sports. I write this blog to share some of my kickball experiences and to try to make the people who run leagues, as volunteers or founders, hear some of the concerns of kickballers. If it's things they can't handle or don't want to hear maybe they should quit. After all I am sure that Mr. Founder has said much the same, if not worse, things about other leagues. Maybe I am "grossly mistaken" that the people who run leagues in DC actually care what their players think.

So, if I was wrong, I apologize readers. Sometimes I do make mistakes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home