Kickball in the City

Saturday, September 09, 2006

Things that make you go hmmm


I realize that running a kickball league is probably not too easy. People like me and others claim to have all the answers and are usually offering them to whomever will listen and that just adds to the difficulty. So unlike many others, I am not one of the people that think it's a crime to make money from people who play kickball. I mean people make money off of kids playing Candy Land and Chutes and Ladders and no one complains. I also realize that running a league gets those people certain perks from beer companies, bars, and other partners and I'm okay with that too. Having stated this, a post on kickball365 caught my attention:

The NAKID season is two weeks old and has given away two sets of Redskins tickets on the 45 yard line for games later this season. Sunday NAKID is raffling off two SETS of Redskins Opening Night tickets. The drawings are free to all NAKIDs. My question is, how can it be that NAKID has 4 pairs of tickets to raffle off with a smaller number of players than WAKA and being newer than DC Kickball and neither of these groups have EVER raffled anything like this off for free? Makes one think maybe the goodies are staying at the top while once again the players pay the bills.

Oh, but I forgot, you can go to WAKA night at the DC United for $18 and if 300 people show up they will put WAKA's name on the scoreboard. Oh, and broomball Caps games. That's true.

Having played for many seasons, I do not recall a time when any of my leagues before offered free tickets to the Redskins. Many times as a division president in WAKA I bought things with division money to raffle away for charity - but never received anything like that from them for free. Although as a president you are invited to a limo ride on the bar owners where they take you on a bar crawl - for free. But that doesn't benefit everyone. And we do get bumper stickers from WAKA. I wonder why we get nothing from DC Kickball; I mean how much can a sticker cost? And it's free advertising!

In any event, I hope that this cool promotion from NAKID will lead the others to follow suit and use some of their (in WAKA's case for sure) vast influence to give back some to its players. We know you're not going to give any money back or reduce your cost guys, so how about sharing some of those perks you get? Hmmm?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home