Kickball in the City

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Cash Cow Champions?


So, after many months of speculation and bickering, the WAKA championship is finally over (even if some of it's divisions are still not finished playing yet). But what really does it mean? I don't think very much.

Sideshow Bob reports from Miami that 10 teams took part in the "biggest kickball tournament ever" as the WAKA guys boasted it would be. To put this in context: my WAKA DIVISION has more than 16 teams! Hell, the last party I threw represented at least a dozen teams. That seems a little ridiculous and would be embarrasing to me if I owned WAKA. I mean, their spokesman recently stated that they had 50,000 players - and just 10 teams showed up for their "World Championship" tournament?

This could have been forseen though; as I correctly predicted the regionals around the country were a failure. Please recall most of them were canceled due to a lack of interest from teams. So this was the first sign.

Sign two was the asinine idea of moving the finals to Miami of all places! The reason given for this was the growth in that area, and that sounds plausible. Until you find out that only 2 teams from Florida even bothered to show up! Half the teams were from the DC-VA-WV area and a few from some other places. So all of this to promote kickball in an area where hardly any of the teams cared enough to show up to play. Great move genuises!

WAKA must be making tons of money though, and I believe that's really what it's all about. And listen, I am all for capitalism, make money if you can and lots of it, but how about providing your people with something aside from promises? Please note that you could buy - for $100 for people playing KICKBALL - a tent with your team's name on it. Or if you are not a captain of a team, you can buy a $15, 2 hr open bar booze cruise (okay that one I like). Ooorr a Bloody Mary Brunch for $30, wtf? Kickballers don't drink Bloody Mary's! Well, I'm sure the WAKA guys got a nice cut.

I guess the bottom line here is this: I feel cheated. When I first started playing with WAKA it was fun to meet people, be able to drink at a discount, and have a few parties. My team won a decent amount and made it to regionals a few times and that was cool. Now it seems like WAKA is all about being a cash cow and claiming the "World Kickball Champions" title. I don't think that's why most of us fork over $60 or $65 to WAKA to play. In fact, I'm sure of it. And I'm glad that the Miami people are happy that they held the championship there, but the turnout was the lowest ever, and the travel made it impossible for many of us to go. And really, what was it for? The same teams that won still won, just with less of an audience to see it.

Maybe WAKA has outgrown itself. Certainly it has outgrown it's original intent, a fun way to meet people and play a goofy game. Now people argue on message boards about how great they are at WAKA and if you just want to play to have fun you should go play elsewhere. Amazing. I guess WAKA will need to change the rules about not being able to play if you are a professional kickball player, because it seems like that's what they want their league to be.

Sad because most of us just want to have fun. Seems like the WAKA founders are out of touch with the majority of their customers. In any event, the guys who won are the "Champions of the 10 who showed up" I guess. Or the "WAKA Cash Cow Champions". And that's hardly the world.

CORRECTION: 11 Teams showed up, Sideshow must have been too drunk to count.

6 Comments:

  • Also check this out - http://www.rejuvenile.com/blog/item/kickball_casualties/

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:44 PM  

  • Those 11 teams had to win a division or place in a regional to get to the July 24 tourney, so these final rounds included representation of about 160 teams. And over 1000 teams competed in their division tournies; if a division winner thought they were good enough and cared enough to travel, they would have shown up July 24, too. Do you really find WAKA's crowning of "World Champions" less valid than NAKID's "Champions of the Universe"?

    Regarding people taking WAKA too competitively on forums, no one from WAKA has anything to do with those forums. The KB365 forums I believe you are talking about include exactly 171 members, or about 1/2 of 1% of WAKA. And of course it draws out the small minority of competitive types because that's niche it fills.

    WAKA is still predominantly a fun league. In their 12th season and 1400 teams, there will evolve teams that take it purely competitively. But don't let that spoil the fun for the rejuvenile majority.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:17 AM  

  • My understanding from reading NAKID's newsletter is that their title is with tongue firmly planted in cheek. They're all meaningless to me. If you think WAKA is the same as it was, good for you. I think differently.

    By Blogger Kickball Homer, at 11:31 AM  

  • everything about NAKID is tongue in cheek. hi, we play with blue balls and make a lot of 12-year-old type jokes about it. even our name is ridiculously silly.

    if there are any NAKID teams that want to be like the teams that play and act they are in kickball major league, i say go and play for waka or whoever else. i love winning. i love smack talk. but i also love seeing my players at happy hours, beerlympics, and other social events.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:12 PM  

  • Not that my opinion needs to be validated, this is the internet after all, but I'm VP of a WAKA league and this is my 5th year playing, 4th year serving as a Board Member. And I agree that WAKA isn't what it used to be. It has become too competitive, serious, angry, greedy and ultimately adrift. Myself, and others have tried to keep our league in the spirit of a children's game, but it has not progressed to my liking. WAKA is not the only organization under whose jurisdiction I play kickball. My other league is much more fun. Those that happen to disagree and believe that if I don't like it that I should go somewhere else, I will be doing just that.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:38 PM  

  • Getting some good feedback at Kickball365.com...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home