Kickball in the City

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Sometimes, we all CAN get along


It's an old saying in radio and such that less than 1 percent of your audience will ever respond. Most of the time when people do it's to tell you how wrong you are or how much of an ass you are making of yourself for something you have said. I assume blogging is much the same way. As I have chronicled and the comments show, most of the responses I get are from people telling me that they disagree with me. And that's okay by me, I appreciate people writing and reading at all! Further, I don't need validation from people on my opinions, everyone has their own and basically, in the end I'm right anyway.

Last night though I had a rare experience - a number of people I talked to actually agreed with me. Some of them had read KITC and were using it to reference things and only one person their knew I was Kickball Homer. It was kinda cool. We were at our usual NAKID (Tuesday is NAKID kickball) kickball bar and here are some of the things I heard:

I am really glad that they moved the game times back after one week. Last season we played with WAKA and had to pay extra money for fields with lights and they never turned the lights on. At least here they listen.

I love that there are always things going on to pick from. You can really see that the money goes back into the league.

I play in both WAKA and DC Kickball and I like this league the best. It just seems so well organized.

Why would I ever go back to WAKA, so I can be treated like crap again?

There are a few more but I get sick from the sugary sweetness already. In addition, a number of people have thanked the guy who started it for starting the league at all. I think that's nice and am sure he is glad to hear it but I hope it doesn't swell his head too much. And it's not like there are no problems.

There is one guy who refs for them who has power issues. I mean last night in one of the games a ref came over to try to help the guy out (he was officiating a game by himself) and he shooed the guy away. It took a player from one of the teams playing to point out that they are supposed to have at least two refs for the guy to relent. This guy has reffed a few of my games too and does have some serious issues with control.

I have also mentioned that the registration is a bit of a hassle and I don't like that captains can't email their teams via the website. Also, it seems as though some people get randomly placed on teams (I know this is unavoidable BUT) without regard to whether they will fit in or not. I know a few people who are on teams that never go to the bar, while they go all the time. Maybe next season they can have a team profile or something so people joining alone have an idea of where they would fit best. However, it is my favorite league of all of them in the area and I am glad to see that other people who have had experience in other leagues feel the same way.


Of course everyone in France thinks Jerry Lewis is a genius sooo, we could all be wrong? But I don't think so.

1 Comments:

  • Good summary, KH. You're right, the head of NAKID has done a much better job with creating/running this league than others I've been a part of. It's almost like he sat down, thought about the problems with WAKA, and brainstormed ways to fix and improve them. Aside from control freak refs and asshat blue team pitchers with small penises, this season has been great.

    By Blogger Ar-Jew-Tino, at 1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home