Kickball in the City

Friday, September 29, 2006

Take a few bites from the brownie


I am a person who will try pretty much anything - twice. My philosophy on this is that a one time sampling can be misleading. The Girl Scouts have a similar idea called something like brownie biting, where you have to try things three times. I like these ideas because it gives you a better idea of what things are all about. And that's the philosophy I am going to use for indoor kickball this winter.

Last year a friend of mine asked me to play on his indoor kickball team with District Sports, which I chronicled - somewhat - here. To say the least, it left me wanting. While the price was nice, just $35, you got basically your money's worth. The sponsor bar was abysmal featuring: Balkan Dancing, Whiny Bitchass Poetry Night, and was crowded with rude psudo-hippies and wannabe beatniks. There was no room for flip cup and we were not treated well. It's fine if that's what you want your bar to be, but then don't sponsor kickball!

The "parties" were basically happy hour special drink prices. The food specials at the bar weren't that good. The school we played in was Cardozo High School - not exactly the best. Water dripping from the ceiling, lead paint chips all around, and asbestos falling every time the ball struck anything. The flip cup tournament was run poorly too. The guy who ran it was nice enough, he was just clueless when it came to kickballers.

So now NAKID attempts indoor kickball this winter accoring to Sideshow Bob's craigslist stalking. I am intrigued. I checked out the rules and they seem fun and similar to the District Sports ones. The bar is the same as the the one we currently go to so I am assuming that will be good. Hopefully they will make some improvements on the things I have mentioned here that need help and things will go well.

I like indoor kickball because it's generally looser than spring and fall kickball and it's a great way to meet people from across the kickball landscape. I met many other WAKA and DC Kickball people last winter and hope that continues over this season.

At least I know there won't be any Balkan Dancing* at the bar...




*Kickball Homer has nothing against the Balkans or the Balkanese people or their style of dance, I just don't want it to get in the way of flip cup.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home