Kickball in the City

Monday, October 23, 2006

Why I play kickball


There are lots of sports that amateurs can play: softball, football, badmiton, etc. Most people play a sport to get exercise, get out their aggressions, or have their competitive outlet. Others play to meet people and have fun. When you play softball or football no one ever asks you why you play. They just either politely nod because they didn't really care to begin with or they ask followups. Everyone always asks "Why?" when you say you play kickball. There are some great reasons.



The never ending question to kickballers


The first is that it's easy. I don't have to worry about getting mashed by a lineman. I don't need the hand-eye coordination of softball. Most people playing kickball aren't trying to relive some 4th grade blacktop legend status they never knew. So I like kickball because it's easy and not as competitive as other sports.

The second is beer. Beer is a large part of the kickball experience. In fact, some people like me would argue that the real competition in kickball happens at the bar. I'm sure that many people enjoy kicking and catching the ball; but everyone enjoys the bar scene. And most people love the beer.

The third reason is the social scene. It can range from almost none (District Sports) to fill-my-calendar-for-the-season (NAKID) but they a;ll have one. Whether you go to Happy Hours, just the bar after the games, or the parties it's a lot of fun. There is no other way that I can think of to meet so many people with whom you have something in common in such a short period of time. And almost no one asks what you do!

The last is the distraction from daily life. I just found out today that I am losing my job. Sort of. My company was trying to merge with a major one and got shot down, so I am in limbo. Normally this would cause worry and fretting. Instead I can check kickball messageboards, read the gossip, and lose myself in the pointless ramblings of others. Sure there are other things that can distract you from life's crap; but few will allow you to get drunk as a cover!



Anyone need a blogger? I work cheap!



I play kickball because it's a great time and I don't have to worry about impressing people with my prowess on the field. I enjoy the people I come in contact with. Overall I think it makes my life better or at least more fun. Where else can I get the drama of high school and not have to hide the fact that I'm drinking beer? Competitive dominoes?


Ok, but do you have people drunkenly hooking up in the bathroom?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home