Kickball in the City

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

I am a champion!!


This weekend one of my kickball teams was named "Champions of the Universe" and I couldn't be more proud! Yes, I know it's only kickball, but still...

Winning is fun, certainly more fun than losing. I know this sounds common sensical when I write and some people are thinking, "Well DUH" but I think it's worth noting. People who lose a lot whether it be in kickball, some other sport, or in things that really matter tend to take the attitude of "Well losing is fun too", but really, it's not. I have been on winning and losing teams, had my share of wins and losses in life - and winning is waaaaaaaaaaaaay better!

Having said that, being a competitive jerk is no fun either. I watched a few people this weekend in my NAKID league's playoffs get mad and yell at people even when they made it on base! That seems a bit much to me and certainly takes much of the fun out of winning. Unfortunately this is found often in WAKA where these guys seem to think they will soon be on the World Kickball Tour or something. I know it's a fine line between being competitive and being an a-hole, but many people need to find that line.

Also, watching people clutch their medals and trophies like they were the most important things in life to them was funny; but also a reminder of how important rewarding people for winning is too. There was one girl last night offering to flash anyone who would give her a medal - and it STILL took her about an hour and a half to finally get one (no, wasn't mine). I think many leagues, WAKA and DC Kickball especially, forget this. I mean, a trophy costs what, like $20 - but it makes people really happy to get them. I was at the DC Kickball flip cup tournament Saturday and the winning team got nothing. And there's not even a mention of it on the website.

In any event, now I can write mom and dad and tell them that their little Homer is finally a winner - even it is only in kickball.

2 Comments:

  • As a member of the worst team in my league in WAKA, I will agree with you that winning is better. Our final game is tonight. Hopefully I can know the glory of being a winner just once this season.

    By Blogger Carrie Broadshoulders, at 10:23 AM  

  • Good Luck!

    By Blogger Kickball Homer, at 10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home