Kickball in the City

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Is this good business?


Okay, I hate to do this because it seems like I am picking on one group, but I HAVE to: I'm pissed at DC Kickball leaders!

First, I want to say that we had a great turnout last night, the founder was there (and I actually spoke with him unlike in WAKA where there is never anyone to talk to that matters), and I had a lot of fun. And generally speaking, I LIKE playing in DC Kickball, but...

I paid $50 to play in this league, just as everyone else did. I don't know who the President of my division is any longer because now everyone is just listed as a "Board Member". The last person I saw listed as President I haven't seen at the bar for 3-4 weeks. Thus, when I have a concern I don't know who to raise it with. Some other players in this division that I play in must have the same problem:

As we all know, it rained ALOT this week. As I wrote previously, DC Kickball gave a $250 bar tab to players who play on Mondays (I guess everyone could go, but come on, everyone born in the US and 35 can run for President but that doesn't happen). I wondered why it always seems that only the rained out people get this nice benefit, apparently I was not alone, from DC Kickball Founder's Blog:

The weather has once again thwarted our efforts to play kickball. However, you can still give Mother Nature the finger by coming to Tom Tom and enjoying some beer on DC Kickball we're opening a $250 bar tab for delicious Bud Light. So come help us kill that tab and drink away our kickball and rain sorrows.

Jen said about 17 hours later: will the wednesday night players be getting a tab too? Even if the weather is good and we have to (gasp) actually playI want free beer too!

Carter said 1 day later: I don't think so (not that it's my call anyway). The point of setting up a small tab during rain-outs is to benefit both the players (who missed their game) and the sponsor bar (who is missing business). Given a limited budget, I think this is a generally a good policy, even if it isn't strictly "fair".

jen said 1 day later: that is complete crap. we're the same conference that has paid the same registratioItfees. it's a horrible policy. we should all get it or no one gets it. and how is it benefitting players? they get free didn't and didn't even have to play! i hope it rains tonight so the games are canceled.

Carter said 1 day later: What an asanine argument. Anybody could have come to Tom Tom on Monday for free. It wasn't restricted to people playing that night. This is just a textbook case of someone who is capable of literally complaining about anything. Congratulations, Jen, you've broken the I-can't-believe-they-said-that meter.

WTF?! Okay, let's take this one at a time: This guy is the FOUNDER of the league and it's not his call?! Hi, increase the amount of funds in the budget or just go buy the beers yourself. Everything that happens is his call. I hate to say this but maybe if he spent less time taking two weeks of vacation in Europe on our money he would be able to "make the call". Being a leader is about making the calls.

Next, calling a player's argument asinine and making snide comments about people hardly seems the way to treat your customers Mr. Founder. How about addressing the concern and maybe considering what people are saying as valid rather than trying to one up them on your blog?

Unfortunately this little show of disrespect of women ( I spoke to Jen, she is real and it's not me) seriously makes me rethink rejoining DC Kickball ever. You owe this player an apology DC Kickball guy, and you need to learn how to treat customers and women. I guess in DC Kickball, the customer is right, as long as they agree with the way things are.

9 Comments:

  • thanks for the heads up that you posted this. ok, so me making a fuss about free beer was maybe a little silly. and sure, it's only kickball. but the attitude back from carter is a little shocking. i'll go as far to say it reeked of WAKA-ness. actually, i don't think i've even heard of someone from WAKA responding to any player like that.

    btw, thanks to my teammates who helped keep my cup full last night.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:33 PM  

  • I'm one of those random board members of DC kickball (I suspect in a differnt division) and was a board member in WAKA for a long time. Personally, I've been a lot happier in DC Kickball, but there is one thing that is the same in both....a division is given its budget for the season, based on the number of registered players, and its up to the Board to decide how the division money is spent.. open bar for rain, mid season parties, prizes and whatnot. I'm not sure what went down with Carter, but in our division, we tell him how we want to spend the money and let him ok it, and he's been wonderfully supportive.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:33 AM  

  • I have been a board member too and know how all of this works, I don't think that was Homer's point. If you are the guy running the show you don't talk to customers like that and then pass the buck. Sounds pretty bad to me.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:52 AM  

  • I joined kickball to meet new people first, and play kickball second. Sure it's fun to play, but my first priority is the social interaction. A division (be it DCK, WAKA, etc.) should be applauded for providing free beer during a rain out to encourage people to still show up and hang out. I can't believe you guys are complaining about this.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:07 AM  

  • Why should people have to be bribed with free beer anyway? The league I play in (NAKID) was rained out on Sunday night. About a dozen people (15ish, maybe) came to the bar anyway. No one did it for the free beer because there weren't any offers of any.

    But like second anon commenter wrote, that's not the point of this post. A player was upset (silly or not) and the response from the top sounded insulting. Hopefully this will be a lesson learned for Carter.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:30 AM  

  • Whoa, some people have WAY too much time on your hands...and clearly are NOT drinking enough beer. That Jen chick (and Homie) is a whiner! Who cares if it is good business or bad business? It is KICKBALL. GAWD, some people will do ANYTHING to bring drama into their life.

    I enjoyed the free beer Monday...and there was hardly anyone there. Thanks Matt (and Carter)! Only two teams made a show, and certainly not in full force. We had a great time! Remember, $50- is an tiny amount to pay for such a good time and great new friends ;)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:54 AM  

  • wow. mr. founder is getting lots of slams in the blogosphere.

    http://chapter2006.blogspot.com/2006/06/kickball-softball-and-so-on.html

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:55 PM  

  • Anonymous said: Whoa, some people have WAY too much time on your hands...and clearly are NOT drinking enough beer. That Jen chick (and Homie) is a whiner! Who cares if it is good business or bad business? It is KICKBALL. GAWD, some people will do ANYTHING to bring drama into their life.

    Dude. They charge $50/person. That's what, $10max for a t-shirt, $20, at least they claim, for social, so that leaves $20/person in his pocket. say there's 35 teams, 20 players per, that's 700 * 20 = $14,000. And yeah some of that is registration fees or field fees or whatever. Don't even try to say it's JUST kickball. It's business and if the business wants to treat customers like that, be ready for the consquences.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:56 PM  

  • Oh it's certainly business- but at the end of the day I **thought** that DC Kickball was still a non-profit. Obviously the founder is making money- but in the capacity of an employee with a salary...

    So- while he should be nice to customers, at least the general priciples of DC seem a little better than WAKA

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home